Butterfly tags- Jenniebellie August 2022 art swap

I swapped tags with three people in Jenniebellie's August 2022 art swap.  The theme was butterflies.

1. Tulip tag- I printed a black and white image from thegraphicsfairy.com and then colored it with color pencils dipped in vaseline.  I saw this trick on YouTube and it actually worked.  I then glued the tulip to a black and white background and added a sticker from Dollar Tree.  The granite looking background is too dark in my opinion.  I have more of this cardstock- if I do another tag similar to this I would lighten the background with some splatters of white gesso first.


2. Round tag- Printed another image from thegraphicsfairy.com onto paper I had marbled using shaving cream and cheap acrylic paint.  The background is from an experiment in soap bubble marbling.  In true Jennibellie fashion, the green is mesh from a bag of avocados.  I printed the quote onto tracing paper. The tag needed a strong straight line so I chose the gold ribbon as the tab.  However since the circle is 6" in diameter I wanted to give the recipient flexibility on how to use it, so I didn't attach the tag.  The quote is "The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough" by the Indian poet R. Tagore.

 
3. All is not what as it seems- The man is the poet Walt Whitman, who projected the persona of a man attuned with nature.  He used this photo to bolster his image- "Look he can get a butterfly to land on his finger" Except the butterfly is cardboard- it was found in his notebooks after he died.  I used scrapbook paper, first aid gauze, mesh ribbon, washi tape and dried baby's breath. I am kind of proud of my solution  for breaking up his sweater by giving him a boutonniere.   


4.  The experiments- The top two are the dried out baby wipe I used the wipe the vaseline from my colored pencils.  I then drew abstract flowers with oil pastel crayons and glued images to the front.  The bottom one is a book page that I covered with leftover paint from another project and then decoupaged with a napkin.  I drew the butterfly with colored pencil and then regular markers.  In hindsight a black butterfly with yellow and orange spots would have been a much better choice.


 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mail art